NUST Conference – FFP and the Case for Fan Engagement
Your Invitation to NUST’s Conference
Newcastle United Supporters’ Trust have organised a conference on football governance and the case for fan involvement in how our football clubs are run. A line up of quality speakers have agreed to come to Newcastle on Thursday 24th October and you are invited to book a place at the half day conference.
The conference will cover football finance, the difference between running a football club and running other types of business, the case for fan involvement and community ownership and a first hand look at how clubs in the Bundesliga do it.
Speakers include Sean Hamil, a Director of Birkbeck Sports Business Centre, John Hays who runs the country’s most successful independent travel company and was previously vice-Chairman at Sunderland AFC and Antonia Hagemann, Head of European Development at Supporters Direct. We also have a special guest speaker, Jens Wagner, from Hamburg S.V. who will talk about how football clubs in Germany involve their fans in their ownership and management.
The conference takes place at Newcastle University Business School, beside St James’ Park starting at 12.30pm. until 4.30pm. and is free to attend. Places are limited and you must book a place in advance by e-mailing email@example.com with your details.
The programme for the half-day event is as follows :
- Opening 12.30pm – 12.45pm. “Welcome and Introduction” Norman Watson Chair – Newcastle United Supporters Trust
- Session 1 12.45pm – 1.45pm. “The Impact of Financial Fair Play on Football Finance” Sean Hamil – Birkbeck College,University of London
- Session 2 1.45pm – 2.15pm. “Running a Football Club or Running a Business?” John Hays – Hays Travel and previous Vice Chair of Sunderland AFC
- 2.15pm. – 2.45pm. Refreshment Break and Networking
- Session 3 2.45pm – 3.15pm. “Improving Football Governance through Supporter Involvement and Community Ownership” Antonia Hagemann – Supporters Direct
- Session 4 3.15pm – 4.00pm. “There is another way – The Hamburgh SV Story”Jens Wagner – Hamburgh SV
- Session 5 4.00pm. – 4.30pm Question Time Panel and Wrap Up – Today’s Speakers
PEN PORTRAITS OF OUR SPEAKERS
Sean Hamil – Director of Birkbeck Sports Business Centre, University of London
Sean graduated with a BA in Economics and Politics from Trinity College, Dublin, then proceeded to the London School of Economics where he took an MSc in Industrial Relations and Personnel Management. He worked as a business analyst with the Henley Centre for Forecasting and then as a researcher for New Consumer, an educational charity focusing on corporate social and environmental responsibility. Prior to joining Birkbeck, he was a Lecturer in Business Management, specialising in business strategy, at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Read more Pen Portraits here
If you aren’t already a member of NUST please take a minute to consider joining us, every extra person makes a difference by adding their support to the cause of the fans of Newcastle United. Together we’ll all one day help to create the Newcastle United we all dream of, JOIN HERE and help us take another step nearer to that day.