MPs demand greater Supporter Involvement
An All Party Parliamentary Group has reported back on hearings that were held last year. Newcastle United Supporters’ Trust and Supporters Direct were involved in these hearings. The main findings of the Group are :
- Contrary to the view of the football authorities, the type of ownership of football clubs makes a difference to how they behave and mutual ownership stakes by football supporters are a positive feature.
- The football authorities should immediately drop their mistaken neutrality to club ownership and actively encourage supporter ownership.
- Supporters Direct should receive stable and predictable funding from the proceeds of football instead of suffering damaging delays.
- Certain football assets with a value to the community should be protected by law, including club colours, club name and home ground ownership.
- As a result of the lack of action from the football authorities, Government should now legislate for the changes it wishes to see in the ownership and Governance of the Football industry. A draft Bill should be prepared urgently.
Jonathan Evans, MP says the Government should “take urgent action” to force professional football clubs and the FA to involve supporters substantially more in their decision-making. NUST believes that Supporters’ Trusts and Supporters all over the country would benefit greatly if the report’s findings were implemented.
We would like to thank everyone who showed an interest in standing.
The 3 new candidates who join the board are : Graeme Cansdale, Ciaran Donaghy and Michael Martin, while Peter Fanning and Colin Whittle are deemed re-elected.
As the only formally constituted fans organisation available to all Newcastle United supporters to join, affiliated to national supporter organisations the Football Supporters Federation and Supporters Direct, we feel that the Trust has an important role to play in the future of Newcastle United. We shall continue to work on behalf of the membership to ensure that our aims and objectives can be fulfilled. We will shortly be convening the Board and will be in contact with members regarding a number of initiatives .
Can we thank you for your continued support in what are challenging times for Newcastle United Supporters