United deservedly lost against Yorkshires finest this afternoon in a game that was there for the taking after a fairly solid first half performance. Rafa started with his usual 4231 formation with Clark and lascelles the centre back pairing and chancel at left back. Huddersfield started the game brightly and dominated possession which was to be expected but we coped comfortably and dealt with whatever they had to throw at us. A decent chance from Ritchie was the notable moment of the first half. By the end of the first half we started to take control with merino spraying passes around. Me and the lads were in fairly buoyant mood at half time following an unspectacular but fairly solid performance where we had clearly stuck to the Rafa game plan and fully expected us to kick on in the second half.
The fact we didn’t was the real disappointment for me as I felt they were there for the taking and a shite goal by their bald headed number 10 in the early stages of the second half following a loss of possession by merino sealed our fate. We huffed and puffed and had a couple of chances to nick a draw through Joselu and a blaze over the bar from a corner but never really looked like threatening. Clearly some worries there for us all to see and the game against West Ham next week now becomes massive with hopefully a much needed win for confidence against forest in the cup mid week
A few special mentions
– The John smith stadium is not geared up for premiership football. Shite turnstiles, over the top security checking and ridiculously over priced shite beer and pies
– Any club that has a German style lap of honour following their first home win in the premiership and a drum to attempt to drown out the noise of the away end are a laughing stock
– On today’s evidence the officials in the premiership are as bad as the championship. A clear handball first half that was missed and stamp on Hayden which if it was Shelvey would have been a straight red card
– It’s obvious to most why Rafa thinks we need a new goalkeeper as Elliott’s distribution was particularly poor. Let’s hope the rumours about Reina submitting a transfer request to force through a move to NUFC are true
– We clearly missed Shelvey today and I’m still so angry with him for being so stupid last week but alongside a goalkeeper we are desperate for someone who can play the number 10 role as Perez is unconvincing
– Linked to the above those amongst our so called support who were giving Elliott direct verbal abuse at the end of the game are an embarrassment and disgrace to the NUFC community. You should be ashamed of yourselves and have clearly paid no attention whatsoever to anything Rafa has had to say about supporting the team during what is clearly going to be a long and difficult season.
Newcastle United: Elliott – 5, Manquillo – 5, Lascelles – 6, Clark- 6, Mbemba – 6, Ritchie – 6, Hayden – 6, Merino – 6, Atsu – 6, Perez – 4, Gayle – 5′ Diame – 5, Joselu – 6, Murphy – 5
David Campbell-Molloy – Follow David on @DCM_1983
true faith : WRITE FOR NEWCASTLE UNITED’S NO.1 FANZINE! Next Post:
THRU BLACK & WHITE EYES – At The Edge – 21/Aug/17.