JONJO SHELVEY – NO APPEAL

by • December 22, 2016 • NewsComments Off on JONJO SHELVEY – NO APPEAL625

A somewhat surprising move from United and Shelvey given the statement below and the lack of tangible evidence involved but there you have it. United will not appeal the 5-match ban or £100K fine imposed upon Jonjo Shelvey.

However, it is what it is and no doubt Rafa will have formulated a plan to cope without one of our key players over a very hectic period.

The statement in full from nufc.co.uk

Jonjo Shelvey has today taken the decision not to lodge an appeal against an FA misconduct charge which was found proven by the Regulatory Commission earlier this week.

The player will now serve a five-match suspension.

Speaking of the verdict and his decision, Jonjo said: “I am very disappointed and frustrated with the outcome of the hearing. I strongly maintain that I did not use the offensive language that has been alleged.

“Despite my strong disappointment, we think an appeal is very unlikely to change the panel’s decision on the case, so I have decided not to take that option.

“Appealing the ban would also extend the period of uncertainty for the club and the team during such an important part of the season.

“This would not be fair on my club, manager or teammates and I want to draw a line under this now so that I can return to help my team with our promotion challenge as soon as possible.“

 

Manager Rafa Benitez said: “Jonjo has maintained his position from the outset and as such has received our full support. Despite this issue going on in the background he has continued to train and play really well.

“Now he has made the decision not to appeal the verdict we can focus on the upcoming games without uncertainty and distraction.”

Newcastle United does not tolerate any form of discrimination or abuse and condemns the use of racist, sexist or homophobic remarks in the strongest possible terms.

The club will not be making any further comment.

 

Related Posts

Comments are closed.